[Training Community] Translating Ubuntu Desktop Course

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Oct 13 07:38:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sorry for this delay.

Romanian characters are included in: ISO 8859-16.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_alphabet#Digital_typography

We can compile desktop course using ISO_8859-2 by replacing "s" and "t"
with cedilla with comma below.

Comma below are the correct charecers for Romanian standard.

>From wikipadia:
The character encoding standard ISO 8859 initially defined a single code
page for the entire Central and Eastern Europe — ISO 8859-2. This code
page includes only "s" and "t" with cedillas. The South-Eastern European
ISO 8859-16 includes "s" and "t" with comma below on the same places "s"
and "t" with cedilla were in ISO 8859-2. Unfortunately, the ISO 8859-16
code page became a standard after Unicode became wide-spread, so it was
largely ignored by software vendors.

Kind regards,
În data de Lu, 06-10-2008 la 19:42 +0100, Dougie Richardson a scris:
> Hi Adi,
>
> Can you confirm for me that Romanian uses the characters specified in ISO
> 8859-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-2?
>
> What errors are you receiving trying to build from 8.04?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dougie Richardson

Adi Roiban