Templates in Terminal

Claude Paroz claude at 2xlibre.net
Sat May 31 22:03:28 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 01 juin 2008 à 00:21 +0300, Eyal Levin a écrit :

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Claude Paroz <claude at 2xlibre.net>
> wrote:
>         Le samedi 31 mai 2008 à 20:48 +0300, Eyal Levin a écrit :
>         > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Christian Robottom Reis
>         > <kiko at canonical.com> wrote:
>         >         On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:52:31PM +0300, Eyal Levin
>         wrote:
>         >         > Well, the problem is that we (Hebrew Translators)
>         have
>         >         Hebrew strings in the
>         >         > terminal, but we have decided that the contents of
>         the
>         >         terminal should
>         >         > remain in English since Hebrew does not display
>         well there.
>         >
>         >
>         >         Why doesn't it display well there? Isn't that more a
>         bug of
>         >         the terminal
>         >         and/or font than in the translations?
>         >
>         > We have some BiDi problems, but as you said this is a bug
>         and can be
>         > fixed. (Working fine though in mlterm [1] ).
>         >
>         > We decided to stay with English because there is no Hebrew
>         > documentation regarding the terminal, hence users who will
>         try to look
>         > for help in forums, Google, etc, won't find anything.
>         > We also got some input from users who said that Hebrew in
>         the terminal
>         > is the main reason why they don't use the Hebrew locale as a
>         whole.
>         >

>         This choice should be left to users. Those who prefer English
>         messages
>         in Terminal can always set this by inserting the following in
>         their .bashrc file: "export LANG=en_US" or "export LANG=C"
>
> We discussed that also and came to the conclusion that this is an
> action that new users will probably not take or won't be aware of, and
> as a result turn to the English locale.

Agreed, but new users should probably not be the most terminal-intensive
users either.

> Perhaps if you know a way we could set the Terminal default language
> to English in the Hebrew locale (with a new Ubuntu installation), this
> would probably be a better solution. Then, if someone would like
> Hebrew in the Terminal he could do the switch.

I can't say anything about default parameters, but you can always
promote recipes on Hebrew Wikis/Forums/FAQs.

> It was also stated that currently we have more appealing applications
> to tunnel our translation energy towards.

Of course, GUI applications should have the priority for translations,
but in the long term, I think all languages deserve having even command
line messages in their language/script.
Those who need a particular message in English may try to re-launch the
process with something like "$ LANG=C mycommand"

Take this as my humble opinion, nothing more :-)

Claude