Templates in Terminal

Eyal Levin eyalev at gmail.com
Sat May 31 21:21:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Claude Paroz <claude at 2xlibre.net> wrote:

> Le samedi 31 mai 2008 à 20:48 +0300, Eyal Levin a écrit :
> > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Christian Robottom Reis
> > <kiko at canonical.com> wrote:
> >         On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:52:31PM +0300, Eyal Levin wrote:
> >         > Well, the problem is that we (Hebrew Translators) have
> >         Hebrew strings in the
> >         > terminal, but we have decided that the contents of the
> >         terminal should
> >         > remain in English since Hebrew does not display well there.
> >

> >         Why doesn't it display well there? Isn't that more a bug of
> >         the terminal
> >         and/or font than in the translations?
> >
> > We have some BiDi problems, but as you said this is a bug and can be
> > fixed. (Working fine though in mlterm [1] ).
> >
> > We decided to stay with English because there is no Hebrew
> > documentation regarding the terminal, hence users who will try to look
> > for help in forums, Google, etc, won't find anything.
> > We also got some input from users who said that Hebrew in the terminal
> > is the main reason why they don't use the Hebrew locale as a whole.
> >
> This choice should be left to users. Those who prefer English messages
> in Terminal can always set this by inserting the following in
> their .bashrc file: "export LANG=en_US" or "export LANG=C"

We discussed that also and came to the conclusion that this is an action
that new users will probably not take or won't be aware of, and as a result
turn to the English locale.

Perhaps if you know a way we could set the Terminal default language to
English in the Hebrew locale (with a new Ubuntu installation), this would
probably be a better solution. Then, if someone would like Hebrew in the
Terminal he could do the switch.

It was also stated that currently we have more appealing applications to
tunnel our translation energy towards.

Eyal