Arabic translators: important news

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Thu Mar 27 19:55:48 UTC 2008

Hello,

Arabic translators: important news

In a few hours time, all Arabic translations in Launchpad
that have plural forms will be marked as "Needs review".

This is because we're introducing support for up to six
plural forms in our new release, Launchpad 1.2.3.

Up until this release, Launchpad has supported only four
plural forms. Arabic has six different forms. Naturally,
people have tried to work around this limitation. The new
formula we've chosen supports all six Arabic plural forms
but there was no safe way to convert existing plural
translations automatically.

The new Arabic plurals formula is:

n==0 ?
  0 : n==1 ?
    1 : n==2 ?
      2 : n % 100 >= 3 && n % 100 <= 10 ?
        3 : n % 100 >= 11 && n % 100 <= 99 ?
          4 : 5

This will show up on the Arabic translations information
page - https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/ar -
once we've released Launchpad 1.2.3.

If you have any questions, please join us on launchpad-users or file a
question at:

https://answers.launchpad.net/rosetta/+addquestion

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad and Bazaar rock!
Join us in #launchpad and #bzr on irc.freenode.net