Changes to the triage guide - translation bugs

Susana Pereira susana.pereira at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:01:48 UTC 2008

Hi Wolfger,

Thanks for your input. I agree that for people not used to translations
this can look confusing. Let me see if I can help make it more clear.

Dom, 2008-06-01 às 06:46 -0400, Wolfger escreveu:
(...)
>  Unfortunately, it doesn't
> look so clear. I went to "Subscribe someone else" on a bug and
> searched on "translation" and got a huge list of teams.

Official Ubuntu Translation teams names follow this syntax:
"ubuntu-l10n-XX" where XX is the language ISO 639-1 or 639-2 code and
can have more than 2 letters.

They are responsible for translating most packages from the main
repository (descriptions aside). You can see the full list of teams
here:
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/+groups/ubuntu-translators

> Some are
> language-specific (danish-translators), some are package specific
> (clipperz.translators), some are specific to a particular language and
> package combination (clipperz.italian), and some give no clue as to
> what they are about (dwayne-translate).

These are not Ubuntu translators teams. I can't find clipperz in Ubuntu,
it appears to be an online project. The bugsquad page says: "The Bug
Squad is the first point of contact for the bugs filed about Ubuntu.",
so it appears to me that general projects registered in Launchpad go
beyond its scope, but I'm not a bugsquad member so I don't really know.

I understand that searching for translators in launchpad is not helpful
here, but I hope the link I gave above is better. In any case, not
knowing what to do to a report is not, imho, a valid reason to close it.
When in doubt asking for help or moving on to a different report is
better.

Regarding reports about translations in packages not in main I still
think that subscribing the Ubuntu translators team is a better option.
They may not be directly responsible for that translation but they
should know who to contact about it.

Cheers,

Susana