Copying translations between releases

Jeroen Vermeulen jtv at canonical.com
Thu Jan 31 10:37:16 UTC 2008

Matthias Urlichs wrote:

>> There is one small risk: in principle it's possible that you want to
>> translate the exact same string, in the same package, differently in two
>> subsequent Ubuntu releases.  If that happens, and later someone comes
>> and updates the translation in the older release, you will automatically
>> get the new translation in the new release as well.
>>
> Umm, if you simply limit auto-updates to those cases where the old
> translated string matches between releases, this can't happen.

That's a clever one.  But (as I think you may already have been saying)
the immediate question is whether there is a substantial risk.  It's
only worth the engineering effort and system time if the problem really
exists in practice.

Even if an unwanted change happened once or twice per Ubuntu release,
it'd cause a lot less grief than typos, translators' PCs losing power,
and so on.  And almost certainly less than some bugs we could fix in the
same man-hours!

Jeroen