translating gnome-user-docs

Danilo Ĺ egan danilo at canonical.com
Wed Sep 12 13:44:21 UTC 2007

Hi Matthew,

Today at 12:36, Matthew East wrote:

> I'm not sure how it's possible just to insert ubuntu-specific changes
> in Launchpad: that would be quite difficult I think.

Yeah, it would be far from trivial on your side.  You'd basically have
to create a PO file which would contain Ubuntu changes exclusively.

But, if you organise your .xml files in a slightly different way
(eg. use <xinclude> to include the Ubuntu changes), it should be
fairly straight-forward: just run xml2po on those files, and use that
as a POT to upload on Launchpad.

Then, when building translated documentation, you'd first merge all
the downloaded PO files from Launchpad with the ones from the package:

  msgcat --use-first sr/sr.po launchpad-pos/sr.po > new-sr.po

Of course, you might already be doing this, but just giving you an
idea.

Anyway, a separation like this would be very useful in all the Ubuntu
packages, but it means more work for Ubuntu packagers.  If we had
that, we'd be able to restrict access to real upstream translations to
our existing translation groups (eg. GNOME Translators), and things
like that.

> Based on the
> feedback so far, I propose to upload the whole pot templates for
> gnome-user-docs/gnome2-accessibility-guide and
> gnome-user-docs/gnome2-user-guide (which will include the Ubuntu
> changes) together with the upstream translations which are already
> present in the package, and then import any amended po files from
> Rosetta. Hopefully bzr is clever enough to merge any additional
> changes to po files in upstream svn too.

Well, another reason for allowing GNOME manual translations using
Launchpad is that translations there are lacking.  I do, however,
understand that those teams with very succesful teams (yeah Daniel,
talking about you :) need no such help, but others might indeed need
and want it.

> If translators wish to use Rosetta to translate upstream strings which
> are untranslated in upstream, then it will be up to them to send those
> changes upstream, I think.

Indeed, that's how it's like in all of Launchpad.  We want to improve
that in the future, though :)

Cheers,
Danilo