translating gnome-user-docs

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 12 07:44:38 UTC 2007

Hi there,

I'd like to ask people's opinions on something.

In this release cycle Ubuntu has made some customisations to the
gnome-user-docs packages, in particular regarding the Gnome User Guide
and Gnome Accessibility Guide.

The translations for these guides are maintained, in not too many
languages, by the upstream teams.

My question involves the Ubuntu changes. Would people prefer to see
the templates for these uploaded to Rosetta as with ubuntu-docs, and
translate them there? The advantages are of course that it's more
convenient. The disadvantage is that commonly translators working on
ubuntu-docs make changes to the original markup which results in
invalidity and large amounts of work for me in importing and
correcting the translations.

I think that if we include the pot templates in Rosetta, we'll see
translations for a lot more languages than before, but also we may see
some translations including validity errors. The alternative is to ask
translators to download the source code for the package and submit
their po files individually, like the workflow used by Gnome upstream.
I suspect that that might be an equal amount of work, what do you
think?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org