Translators breaking documentation

Milo Casagrande milo_casagrande at yahoo.it
Fri Oct 13 12:21:48 UTC 2006

--- Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> ha scritto:
> Hi there,

Hi

> I've just downloaded some translations of the
> desktopguide from the
> ubuntu-docs source package. I was extremely
> disappointed to find that
> the translations, almost without exception,
> introduce hundreds of errors
> into the xml. This means that I (and others) will
> need to spend several
> hours going through all of the xml to fix errors.

I apologise for the inconvenience!
I was checking the italian translations in these days,
and found a couple of errors!
I'm trying to clean them out!

> I have posted guidelines about how to translate
> documentation on this
> list many times before, and I did so again when
> announcing translation
> in this release cycle. It boils down to one simple
> rule - don't play
> with the code!!! Specifically:
>
> * Do not rearrange groups of tags - they will break!
> * Do not translate tags, or entities (such as
> &hello;)
> * To make sure you get the tags and code right -
> copy and paste it,
> don't copy it by eye, because you will make
> mistakes.
>
> Team leaders - please ensure that when guidelines
> are posted to this
> list, they are actually conveyed to the translators,
> and that people are
> not translating documentation without having a good
> grasp of these basic
> guidelines.

I'm planning on inserting a new section in the italian
wiki (I'll do it after the transaction) on how to work
with the documentation and the use of the docbook tag.

> The use of Rosetta for documentation was never a
> perfect solution, and
> if we can't improve this situation, we may have to
> think about another
> system - such as asking translators to build the xml
> and check for
> errors before submitting it to the documentation
> team.

I think Rosetta shuold give the possibility to
restrict the access of some translation to only a
group of people. I know it's not in the spirit of
collaboration, but in this way there would be more
control over the translation process and the quality
of the translation.

Milo Casagrande  <milo_casagrande at yahoo.it>
FSF Member #3788 <www.fsf.org>