Angolan and Cape Verdean users

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Fri Feb 17 17:34:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:16 -0500, Og Maciel wrote:
> Actually, it wouldn't be imposing since the translations to pt_PT
> don't even amount to 10%...  If you were to consider the 30-something
> percent of the pt_BR translations in the equation, we could all,
> Brazilians, Portuguese, Angoleans, etc, etc work on one single
> language pack that would initially be seeded with 30% of pt_BR
> translations...  but 30% should be better than 10%... or even 0%...

As far as I know, Brazilian people prefer English strings vs. Portuguese
from Portugal translations. In their opinion, the language has changed
already a lot and it's a bit hard to understand each other a bit.

I don't speak Portuguese (none of its variants) so I cannot say that
it's true, but I tend to believe it's true if most of the Brazilian
people I know say that.

With the information I know, I don't think that people from Portugal
will be happy if we change all translations to Brazilian Portuguese.

Anyway, we don't have (yet) anyway to merge all those locales into a
single one with launchpad tools so this would need some voodoo magic
using .po files directly, after that, we can remove old locales from
Rosetta, but I will be against it if I don't get the confirmation from
all sides (Thinking on LoCo/translation teams here) that all agree on
doing something so big like this.

This decision has other main impact, upstream. We either block imports
from upstream to prevent that pt_BR and/or pt_PT locales are created
again, losing any updates they do, or you try to include them into this
big change.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín