Angolan and Cape Verdean users

Og Maciel og.maciel at
Fri Feb 17 17:16:14 GMT 2006

Actually, it wouldn't be imposing since the translations to pt_PT
don't even amount to 10%...  If you were to consider the 30-something
percent of the pt_BR translations in the equation, we could all,
Brazilians, Portuguese, Angoleans, etc, etc work on one single
language pack that would initially be seeded with 30% of pt_BR
translations...  but 30% should be better than 10%... or even 0%...

On 2/17/06, Matthew East <mdke at> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 12:03 -0500, Og Maciel wrote:
> > Hey Matt,
> >
> > Going back to the stats I got from LP, it seems that the Brazilian PT
> > translation is by far more advanced than the other 2 branches.  If we
> > can get a hold of the pt_PT admin and receive his consent, could we
> > turn the pt_BR the default portuguese language pack, rename it to be
> > PT only, and remove any other pt remaining?  I'm putting myself at the
> > service of the portuguese speaking community to then spearhead,
> > together with volunteers from all branches, to unify it.  Anyone
> > against it?  From the technical POV, could someone do this (from
> > Rosetta, LP, etc) with me?
> It is technically possible, but extremely undesirable. This would turn
> the Portuguese version of Ubuntu into a brazilian version, and I
> understand that the two dialects are very different. I believe that
> those members of the Brazilian team that are able to translate into
> "international" Portuguese should do so, but mass copying or merging is
> a very bad idea indeed, I think.
> My view is that in general, translation teams can work together,
> depending on the level of divergence in dialects. However, mass imposing
> a dialect on another one is a bad idea.
> --
> mdke at
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
> iD8DBQBD9gOCtSaF0w5rBv8RAvm0AJ40CidLpVI37h9dULUnooAZB95ebACfbFyI
> PrAGKzcNTfhis1CM+eg6zCg=
> =j1Kj

Og B. Maciel

ogmaciel at