Angolan and Cape Verdean users

João Cruz jalrnc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:29:12 UTC 2006

First let me thank you for all offers to help, but I just want to make my
point here that merging the dialects is a very bad idea. I'm quoting another
Portuguese translator (see below), who replied to the list but for some
reason his email has not reached it yet. Rui describes the situation very
clearly. And he proposes a solution that would basically put the control in
the hands of each user. Two important points:

   - The Portuguese (Portugal) team is pt, not pt_PT. The same way the
   French team is fr and the Canadian team is fr_ca. pt_PT should really be
   removed.
   - There are considerable differences between the dialects, I wish
   there weren't. I know for a fact that many Portuguese people would even
   prefer to have English in front of them as opposed to Brazilian text. I
   think in order for everyone to be able to talk about this, and for it to
   become a valid discussion, one has to be familiar with the dialects to know
   what he/she is talking about. You will not be able to write pt if you
   are not native. The effort is best used if you write in your native language
   and we have a solution like Rui proposes. For instance, Brazilians use the
   word gerenciador all the time to translate manager... well, that word
   does not even exist in the Portuguese dictionary. We use the word ficheiro
   for file... would all Brazilians be comfortable reading this? I don't
   think so. This is not a cricticism to the Brazilian dialect, I'm just
   saying it is different and one is as valid as the other one. I could go on
   and on with more examples, but that's beside the point, any individual who
   is familiar with both dialects will agree with me.
   - I am all for collaboration, and helping each other, but I have to be
   careful about total merging or integration... we already have that, everyone
   nowadays understands English, that's the way to go if we want to unify. That
   would certainly save us a lot of effort. The idea here is to localize, and
   the more loyal we are to the language the more value it brings.

Rui's message:

The nuances between Portuguese (Portugal) and Portuguese (Brazil) are