What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Thu Aug 17 08:37:57 UTC 2006

Christian Robottom Reis napisał(a):
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 06:24:15PM +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
>> Og Maciel napisał(a):
>>> Hey Carlos,
>>>
>>> First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply.  As far as what
>>> you said concerning upstream imports, and maybe for my own clarity,
>>> upstream translations take precedence over our translations done via
>>> Rosetta?  If that is the case, I have a really tough "sell" to
>>> convince people to perform translations via Rosetta and not directly
>>> with the organized sub-groups such as Gnome or KDE.
>> I think you should not convince them to use Rosetta, but to join
>> KDE/Gnome translation teams. Translations done in KDE/Gnome teams
>> benefit the whole community, while in Rosetta only Ubuntu.
>
> Well, I would like to point out that it is possible for upstream
> translators to benefit from Rosetta translations directly -- they can
> download translations and merge them manually into their current working
> trees. The majority of the strings will remain unchanged between
> versions, so most of the new translations will be useful to you, and you
> can review them manually after merging them, ensuring you only commit
> translations that are acceptable to you.

Of course you understand that this means large additional overhead for
coordinator? And it is not as simple as point-and-click. You have to do
it manually, going through each changed message and proofreading it.
Benefit of having a team of translators is having the trust in some of
them to provide good enough translation, so that it does not have to be
checked thorougly.
And translations done in Rosetta sometimes cover with translations done
by us, so the effort is duplicated and wasted, because there is no
coordination between Rosetta and KDE team. And if I have a choice of
translation done by person I know and some random set of WWW
translators, guess which one will I choose?
Finally, if each distribution would provide its own translation center,
how would I handle all these distributed translations, not to mention
the fact that I might be unaware of Rosetta, because I would use, for
example Slackware.

Summing up:
There should be only one place for translating KDE and it should be KDE
translation team. The flow of translations should be from KDE to
distributions, not the other way round.

> I wonder if you find this workflow allows you to use Rosetta
> translations effectively, or if there is some piece of the puzzle
> missing -- and if there is, then we definitely want Rosetta to offer it
> to you.

I don't think it is a matter of tools or automation.

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish KDE translation coordinator)