Ubuntu 6.06 Documentation Ready to Translate

Øivind Hoel oivind.hoel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:39:53 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> At last the official documentation for Ubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 is ready
> for translation. There is an enormous amount of material for translation
> this time round, so you will have you work cut out translating it all!
>
> The translations are available in Rosetta at the following address:
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/ubuntu-docs/+translations
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/kubuntu-docs/+translations
>
> There are more templates in the former, because some of those guides are
> shared between Ubuntu and Kubuntu. If you translate them in ubuntu-docs,
> they will be translated in kubuntu-docs too.
>
> For full English copies of the various guides to give you context while
> translating, click System -> Help -> System Documentation (in Ubuntu
> Dapper), or simply open Khelpcenter (in Kubuntu Dapper). Alternatively,
> all the guides are available to browse at http://doc.ubuntu.com

Great! I'll be working on the nb translation all night then, I guess :)

I just have one single gripe about the actual doc; the part where
users are told they can easily "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop".
Shouldn't there be a reference to Synaptic, or even be a quick tool
(say, in gnome-app-install) to do this? I'm just worried that
displaying a command-line command in the midst of all the
"easy-buzzwords" is sending a mixed message...

> For your guidance:
>
> 1. where you see a tag in the translation (for example: "<ulink
> url="http://www.ubuntu.com">The Ubuntu Website</ulink>"), the tag and
> anything inside the tag itself should not be translated. The words
> between the tags should be translated. In the above example, the words
> to be translated would be "The Ubuntu Website".
> 2. where you see a phrase expressed like ">", do not change this. In
> fact, pay special attention to keeping it exactly the same, if these
> break, I will have to repair the translations by hand, and that will
> take a long time!

Another thing, if I want to use quotes in my translation (and there
isn't one in the english text), will I have to use " or will a
simple " be fine?