[உபுண்டு பயனர்] DNS Zone File Clarification - BIND

Yogesh yogeshg1987 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:09:50 GMT 2010

Good Day,

I'm setting up a DNS server using BIND. I have a small clarification to
make.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto#Alias%20Records

The above link says that you cannot point one CNAME record to another. Which
means:

ns          A            10.10.5.5
www      CNAME   ns
test       CNAME   www

is illegal, right? The wikipedia article has an example for the contents of
the  zone file, which has a CNAME pointing to another CNAME. I'm a bit
confused.. Please help. Can you also point me to the right RFC to look into
?? I'm looking at RFC 1035 but can't find any reference to this. Or may be I
simply fail to see where it's mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_file

Thank You,
Yogesh.