Method taken for up-grading packages.

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Oct 31 17:33:19 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Dipankar Patro <dipankar at seeta.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After complaints from users, I have removed all the -0.90 (faulty) packages
> from PPA.
> I am starting a fresh with the newer versions of Sugar Packages.
>
> * Previously I started with presence service but found to be stuck with
> Dependency tree.
>
> Now I am following the method mentioned below: (The method is based on a bit
> of trial and errors to actually get all the packages in order).
> - Started from the package on the root of Dependency tree. (Sugar, available
> at PPA).
> - Downloaded the source package from download.sugarlabs.org . (easy step)
> - Cloned git repository of Jonas' Sugar debian package:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/sugar.git (easy step)
>   -- I needed a proper debian folder (and not to forget the updated one).
> - Copied the debian folder from repo to the extracted source tarball. (easy
> step)
> - Changed the debian/control and control.in files to add the 'Conflicts' and
> 'Replaces' fields. (new step)
>   -- here is the paste of what I changed: http://paste.ubuntu.com/523095/
>   -- NOTE: Check carefully for 'Conflicts' and 'Replaces' for all packages.
> - Once done with above, updated the debian/changelog (using dch -i)  (very
> easy)
>   -- here is the paste.
> - Built that package with 'debuild' command. Renamed .orig tarballs wherever
> applicable.
> - Checked all the packages for 'Conflicts'. If found, removed the package
> from the system and then continued installing again.
> - Unmet Dependencies found. (sugar-base, sugar-toolkit, etc)
>
> Repeated process for the Dependencies.
>
> I think we are getting close to the solution. The only part we need to be
> careful of is the changelog, control and control.in files.
> We also need a test PPA for full testing of the packages.
> Rest I think is going well with the issue.
>
> Regards,
> Dipankar

Yes, this sounds correct.

The part that might 'feel' wrong is the fact the many of the
dependencies are interrelated and some are circular.  You will not be
able to make a nice checklist and work through the dependencies in a
set order.  Instead, you will have to tug on lose strings a little bit
at a time(by trial and error) until the knot comes undone.

david