Bug report: Web browser doesn't launch on Sugar Emulator for Ubuntu 8.04.1

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:09:17 GMT 2008

Hi Stanley

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 21:51, Stanley Sokolow <overbyte at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi, Sugar team:
> I don't know where else to report this, since the Launchpad project for Sugar has no link to report a new Bug, so here's my report.   If you have a bug tracker somewhere else, let me know where.
>
> I'm trying to get my Ubuntu machine to emulate an XO so I can test it with my real XO.    I have the Sugar Emulator version  0.79.0-0ubuntu3 and various activity files installed on my up-to-date Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS system.   Under Ubuntu, the system communicates with the Internet.  Using the Sugar Emulator's Terminal, I can ping my router and web sites (including Google and Laptop.org), so I know the XO connects to the Internet.    My ethernet connection is wired, using eth1.   (eth0 is not connected, but present, according to the Emulator's Analyze program.)   I can collaborate between the Emulator and the XO using the Chat activity, no problem there.   But when I launch the Browse activity from Home page, the world icon pulses for a while and then times out without launching the browser.   I checked Synaptic and verified that the sugar-web-activity and hulahop are both installed and up-to-date.
>
> Is there a log file on the Ubuntu/Sugar computer I should send you?   Any other suggestions?

This is a known issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hulahop/+bug/263173 - I'm
trying to get approval for this to be uploaded as an update to hardy
(8.04) and intrepid (8.10).

To log a bug against sugar packages in Ubuntu, here's what you can
click to find the bug reporting places:

https://launchpad.net/sucrose is the master project containing Sugar
and activities including Browse. I have now made a more obvious link
from https://launchpad.net/sugar to the sucrose page.

Clicking on Sugar Browse activity takes you to
https://launchpad.net/sugar-browse-activity. At this point, Launchpad
is representing the "upstream" Sugar Labs project, not the Ubuntu
package - but if you scroll down you'll see "Packages:
sugar-web-activity in Ubuntu Hardy". Clicking on that takes you to
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/sugar-web-activity, which
is the actual package in Ubuntu.

Now you can click on the "Bugs" tab which takes you to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/sugar-web-activity,
which contains a "Report a Bug" button. That is the appropriate place
to file a bug against the Ubuntu package of Browse.

Don't worry if you log the bug against the wrong package as we can
easily move it to the right one.

For future bugs (which might not be already known issues) you can
follow the instructions on
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu to run
sugar-emulator with "SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL=debug PRESENCESERVICE_DEBUG=1
sugar-emulator
" which will generate the appropriate log files in
.sugar/default/logs. The appropriate log files to include would be any
that contain the name of the activity (e.g. org.laptop.Chat-1.log for
Chat) and if there is sharing/collaboration involved, then
presenceservice.log as well.

I'll update the http://sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu
page to include some of the above to help people in filing bugs.

Regards
Morgan