[ubuntu-studio-users] Studio controls version

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 10 15:03:25 UTC 2021

Hi Alf,

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 1:55:05 AM PDT Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I'm on (K)Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and have added the backports repo with
> 'sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports'
>
> I'd expect to have the latest version of Studio controls on my system
> and I am sure that some time ago I did, when the program layout had the
> Start / stop Jack, audio settings, etc buttons collected on the right
> side of the window. It am also sure it was showing version 2.1.64 in the
> heading.
>
> Today it shows version 2.1.4 in the heading, and those buttons for
> starting / stopping Jack etc are on the bottom of the window.
>
> 'apt show studio-controls' gives
> 'Version: 2.1.64-really2.1.4-0ubuntu20.04.2'
>
> which I find even more confusing since it looks like I do have the
> latest version,  but in old clothing so to speak.
>
> Can somebody explain?
>
> Best regards,
> Alf

Studio Controls 2.1.64 is not meant to be released to the public as it's very
much a rough, pre-release beta. That said, a mistake happened recently and
this was the only way to correct it.

Basically, I had accidentally uploaded 2.1.64-beta to the Backports PPA (for
Groovy). When I had discovered the error, I aborted the build, but the damage
was already done and it was reporting that version as available for Focal as
well. So, the only way to fix this was to create a package versioned as 2.1.64-
really2.1.4 to trick the system into downgrading the package.

Trust me, you do NOT want to be running 2.1.64 (future 2.2) at this point. It
has a lot of issues and is causing problems even for myself. But if you REALLY
want it, you can go to https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev and look for
the Studio Controls Staging PPA. There you will find it, but be warned: it's
not at all ready for production, and you WILL find bugs.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio