[ubuntu-studio-users] [solved] Ubuntu Studio 16.04 XFCE all icons missing

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Thu Sep 21 15:33:07 UTC 2017

Hi David,

On 09/20/2017 05:24 PM, David King wrote:

>> This likely means that your installation is broken.
>> Try running the command
>>    gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
>> to make things work again for the time being.
>>

> I noticed the above lines, and decided to restore a loaders.cache file
> from a backup, and it worked. Now I can boot into Ubuntu Studio with all
> icons and wallpaper restored.
>
> But I still have no idea why that loaders.cache file disappeared.
>
> David

You probably don't care now that you got it working, but unless you have
been careless with a sudo command, that file can normally only be
removed by the package that installed it.

$ apt-file search
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

This would tell you which package owns the file. It was probably an
update to that package which caused it. But actually you can see it is
the gdk-pixbuf-2.0 package from the path name.

Maybe this package was updated? But then I would have to dig deeper to
see what maintainer scripts might be run to update/add/delete that cache
file when something is updated.

Anyway - you fixed it!

Regards,

Ross