[ubuntu-studio-users] General ("newbie") question about repositories

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jul 21 16:14:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:40:17 +0200, brian at linuxsynths.com wrote:
>I ran both "make" and "make install", both without
>success.

And where did you change "the PATH settings to the /usr/lib"?

As user, not with root privileges, try one after the other and perhaps
others, too and always use a cleaned build directory:

  make LIB32_INST_PATH=/usr/lib LIB64_INST_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu GTK=3

  make LIB32_INST_PATH=/usr/lib LIB64_INST_PATH=/usr/lib64 GTK=3

  make LIB32_INST_PATH=/usr/lib LIB64_INST_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu GTK=2

  make LIB32_INST_PATH=/usr/lib LIB64_INST_PATH=/usr/lib64 GTK=2

Or instead of trial and error, read the Ubuntu Wiki and try to find out
how multi-lib support is handled by Ubuntu. I don't know if the variables
are correct, I don't know if the passes are correct, I'm just guessing, to
show you, that you need to add something to the make command, assumed you
didn't edit some configuration.

If one of the above or one from yourself, make line should finish without
an error, then root privileges are ok, IOW run:

  sudo make install

Or instead of running make install, run:

  sudo checkinstall

IIRC it could be run without sudo, but when finished, requires to run

  sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

For this you need to install the package:

  checkinstall

I guess the menu is self-explaining and even a noob is able to build a
package with checkinstall, assumed checkinstall is able to replace
make install, this is not always the case. You not necessarily need to
add all the dependencies, keep those entries empty.