[ubuntu-studio-users] Fwd: a couple issues with ubuntu studio 16.04.1

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 18 18:36:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:11:48 -0500, Eddie Coffey wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM, wrote:
>> I think the disappearing mouse is a known bug affecting a number of
>> people. The workaround I've heard (which works for me) is pressing
>> CTRL+ALT+1 and then after a second CTRL+ALT+7 and the mouse will
>> reappear. (Being new to Ubuntu I don't know what exactly this does,
>> but it appears to switch between a terminal and a desktop display
>> mode or something.)

You are switching to a virtual console and back to the GUI.

  "TTY, in electronic or electromechanical communications, was used to
  refer to "teletype" or perhaps "teletypewriter", but it has come to
  refer to any type of text terminal." -
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TTY

  "A text terminal, or often just terminal (sometimes text console) is a
  serial computer interface for text entry and display. [snip]
  The System console is a text terminal used to operate a computer.
  Modern computers have a built-in keyboard and display for the console.
  Some Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and FreeBSD have
  virtual consoles to provide several text terminals on a single
  computer.

  The fundamental type of application running on a text terminal is a
  command line interpreter or shell, which prompts for commands from the
  user and executes each command after a press of Enter." -
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal#Text_terminals

By another replay I mentioned the BIOS settings in regards to enabling
bluetooth, maybe there are BIOS settings related to resume, too, that
might have impact to mouse pointer graphics behaviour. I don't think
so, but you never know.

Take a look at the release notes of possible BIOS updates, maybe a BIOS
update is related to this issue.

Regards,
Ralf