[ubuntu-studio-users] Netflix on Ubuntu Studio 14.04

Israel israel at torios.org
Tue Apr 29 18:45:28 UTC 2014

On 04/29/2014 12:47 PM, Rob wrote:
> On 04/29/2014 01:14 PM, Israel wrote:
>> Another thing of note, Netflix has recently said they are working on an
>> HTML5 version of the site to run on all devices.  Currently it only runs
>> on the Windows Phone, but they are working to make it work on all
>> devices.  So soon (hopefully) they will finally drop Silverlight in
>> favor of more compatibility.
> By "run on all devices", they mean "run on all devices with browsers that
> implement proprietary DRM on HTML5 videos". Surely you must have heard
> about the political games surrounding the EME (Encrypted Media Extensions)
> proposal in front of the W3C last year, which would specify a standard
> interface through which DRM providers could provide non-standard encryption
> modules which, needless to say, would be provided in binary form only...
> Netflix is one of the biggest proponents of that "feature".
>
> The only reason Netflix currently works using "HTML5" on IE11 on Win8.1 is
> because Microsoft added those extensions independently, without waiting for
> the W3C. So, Netflix still depends on a proprietary, Windows-only binary.
> Maybe later this year it'll also be available as a proprietary iOS binary
> or proprietary Android binary, but I'd be pretty surprised if any Linux
> browser (with the possible exception of the binary version of Chrome, since
> Netflix does plan to support ChromeOS) will support these extensions.
>
> http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html
>
> It could still be a better solution than the Pipelight one, but it's a far
> cry from what most people (or even companies) mean when they say
> "HTML5 video", thinking they're talking about an open standard that will
> run on anything.
>
> Rob

hmmm... that is unfortunate.

Well, the representative did say they it would support Ubuntu, so I am
hopeful that more companies will start considering GNU/Linux when they
develop things, as it is the most important operating system of this
current era.  Netflix wouldn't be able to run at all like it does on the
internet without the huge infrastructure of GNU/Linux servers.
I suppose we shall see what happens, though....