Has somebody a stable Ubuntu Studio NATTY 64-bit?

Karl Giesing khzmusik at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 00:08:44 UTC 2011

OT reply:
> IMO 48 KHz
> should be enough for home recording, below there's audible loss, but if
> the analog IOs and AD/DA converters are ok, 48 KHz even for professional
> studios should be high enough for nearly every kind of production.

IMHO, if you can't go higher than 48KHz, then I'd actually stick with 44.1KHz throughout the entire production flow, assuming that's going to be your final sample rate.
Downsampling from 48K to 44K actually causes some artifacts in the higher registers. They occur in all downsampling algorithms, but they actually sound worse because the sample rates are so close together. Whatever audio quality you get from 48K vs. 44K is negligible, in my opinion, and won't offset the degradation from downsampling.
Of course, if you can go much higher (like 96K or 128K), then it's certainly worth it.
That's just my opinion, of course.
-Karl.