*Official Announcement:* Ubuntu Studio is switching to XFCE.

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue May 17 15:58:58 UTC 2011

Am 17.05.2011 17:17, schrieb Janne Jokitalo:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 07:05:22AM -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:
>> [1] http://labor-liber.org/images/linux/xfce.jpg
>
> Sorry for not adding any information to the thread, but that is a gorgeous
> desktop! DAMN!

XFCE can be configured as that and it can be configured to look near to
1:1 like US used to look with Gnome2.

Do not mistake me: I do not endorse XFCE here ... I endorse openess and
independence on the user side.
;-)

So why am I not open to Gnome3?
Because Gnome3 is designed for a mythological beast called "the typical
desktop user".
You cannot have a menu for sound-applications accessable with 2 Klicks.
The typical desktop user does not need more than 5-6 programs. So geeks
like those that dare to touch 2 sequencers, 3-4 synths and some other
strange apps normal people never have heared of are not the target
audience for Gnome3.

This may change over time, Gnome3 will eventually grow and may gather
some more powers to offer a desktop a US-user can feel familiar with.
But ist not there yet. And as long as this is so, XFCE is a wise choice
to bridge the gap.
At the other hand: XFCE may as well grow into US so there would be no
need for any further changes....

best regs
HZN