Xfce

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:24:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Karl Giesing <khzmusik at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My two cents:
>
> I haven't looked at Xfce in a long while, so I thought it was getting long
> in the tooth. I did a little research, and it's apparently not true at all.
> In fact, a new (and VERY updated) version just came out in January.
>

> While I haven't actually tried it yet, it seems very easy to use. It
> certainly seems more intuitive than Gnome3 for those users switching from
> Mac or Win, if that's a priority.
>
> I also like it because it is lighter on system resources than its
> competitors, and that's pretty vital for an A/V distro.
>
> If we made the switch, would this mean that UbuStu would have its "parent"
> distro be Xubuntu, rather than Ubuntu? Or is it that ubuntustudio-desktop
> would assume vanilla Ubuntu, and make the switch when you install it (e.g.
> downloading Xfce and dependencies at that point)? I'm not a distributor by
> any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know how that would work.
>
> Also - though I don't know of any offhand, are there any apps that require
> Gnome to work? Probably not audio, but I could possibly see some issues with
> video editing apps.
>
> In any case - if it is possible to still have the old Gnome2
> ubuntustudio-desktop package in the repos, even without any changes or
> support, then I would suggest this be done. At least in the interim, until
> everything gets sorted. Obviously that's additional work, so it's
> understandable if it's not a high priority.
>
> -Karl.

thanks for starting a new thread Karl... actually, i thought keeping a
gnome2 config around would be easy at first. Scott Lavender has officially
inquired about the availability of gnome2 in the official repos for 11.10,
and actually, they plan to have it removed by then (surprise). i was
assuming we would have a cycle or 2 to default to gnome2 if we wanted.
anyways, this means we would need to customize a metapackage for gnome3, and
test it, and make it available. thats probably not going to happen. and from
my testing, even in 'fallback mode', gnome3 is quite a departure from
gnome2, so im pretty sure this will not answer the main argument of "i dont
want to change DE's". im confident that if a small group of users wanted to
get involved and maintain a gnome3 or unity based metapackage
(ubuntustudio-desktop-gnome or ubuntustudio-desktop-unity) that would be
welcomed. the team right now is not of the size to facilitate maintaining
those packages.

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/