Xfce

Karl Giesing khzmusik at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 21:31:24 UTC 2011

My two cents:

I haven't looked at Xfce in a long while, so I thought it was getting long in the tooth. I did a little research, and it's apparently not true at all. In fact, a new (and VERY updated) version just came out in January.

While I haven't actually tried it yet, it seems very easy to use. It certainly seems more intuitive than Gnome3 for those users switching from Mac or Win, if that's a priority.

I also like it because it is lighter on system resources than its competitors, and that's pretty vital for an A/V distro.

If we made the switch, would this mean that UbuStu would have its "parent" distro be Xubuntu, rather than Ubuntu? Or is it that ubuntustudio-desktop would assume vanilla Ubuntu, and make the switch when you install it (e.g. downloading Xfce and dependencies at that point)? I'm not a distributor by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know how that would work.

Also - though I don't know of any offhand, are there any apps that require Gnome to work? Probably not audio, but I could possibly see some issues with video editing apps.

In any case - if it is possible to still have the old Gnome2 ubuntustudio-desktop package in the repos, even without any changes or support, then I would suggest this be done. At least in the interim, until everything gets sorted. Obviously that's additional work, so it's understandable if it's not a high priority.

-Karl.