diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:23:41 UTC 2011

i'll top post and say again, with my presonus firepod in 10.04 with
-realtime kernel i can do under 5ms latency stable, and depending on what im
doing (if its not too intensive) i can do 1.2ms stable. stable for me is
*no* xruns (except maybe when opening an application, but never idle xruns
popping up).

bart,

let me know if you would like more information on my hardware/software
setup. i thought it was interesting that this is something that had
basically gotten worse for you. seemed like you implied that it was stable,
then not for some reason.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 07:58 -0400, Mac wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I avoided to buy firewire, but now I've got issues with my RME PCI
> > > express card ;).
> > >
> > > Paul Davis on LAU some minutes ago mentioned, that firewire not only
> for
> > > Linux and Windows is problematic, but also for Mac. The best solution
> > > get less issues seems to be the usage of PCI. But in the future there
> > > might only be PCI express slots on mobos.
> > >

> > Paul is correct, the Windows community notes plenty of firewire issues.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've found no PCI solution that will provide me 24
> > channels in and still be within my budget. :)
>

> He mentioned the Mac. That firewire is bad for PCs (Linux and Windows)
> is well known. He reported that even for a Mac it could be an issue.
>
> You can expand RME cards with cheap ADAT devices.
>
> I really need at least 1 high quality analog stereo IO (my RME might
> have one, hopefully I'll get some noise in/out of it today ;), but I'm
> really poor (for a West European) and I got a brand new Behringer
> Ultragain Pro-8 Digital (8 analog IOs <-> ADAT) for less than 170,- EUR,
> also untested until now.

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/