diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 6 12:17:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 07:58 -0400, Mac wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I avoided to buy firewire, but now I've got issues with my RME PCI
> > express card ;).
> >
> > Paul Davis on LAU some minutes ago mentioned, that firewire not only for
> > Linux and Windows is problematic, but also for Mac. The best solution to
> > get less issues seems to be the usage of PCI. But in the future there
> > might only be PCI express slots on mobos.
> >

> Paul is correct, the Windows community notes plenty of firewire issues.
>
> Unfortunately, I've found no PCI solution that will provide me 24
> channels in and still be within my budget. :)

He mentioned the Mac. That firewire is bad for PCs (Linux and Windows)
is well known. He reported that even for a Mac it could be an issue.

You can expand RME cards with cheap ADAT devices.

I really need at least 1 high quality analog stereo IO (my RME might
have one, hopefully I'll get some noise in/out of it today ;), but I'm
really poor (for a West European) and I got a brand new Behringer
Ultragain Pro-8 Digital (8 analog IOs <-> ADAT) for less than 170,- EUR,
also untested until now.