diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Jun 5 17:39:45 UTC 2011

Am 05.06.2011 11:00, schrieb Robert Klaar:
> What happens if you set the frames/period settings higher? I have similar
> setup and can't get it to run on any lower than 1024 frames(if I want to
> avoid xruns), but then I've set the sample rate to 48000. I've never noticed
> any problems with the latency, it's at 46 or something now but I can't hear
> any difference between this and something lower, can you? .)

Yes I can.

I work with musicians and my experience is:

lower than 5ms: nobody noticed that in comparison with 10ms

5-10ms: everything fine, no complaints

around 16ms: all but some singers realise that something is going on,
faces grow longer, some demand changes.

For very big projects on lesser machines I run Jack with 30 or more ms
latency. It is OK for mixing/editing etc but I do not record any
overdubs with such settings. I remember I did some years ago but it
really was not fun and the results where not as good as they could have
been.

Any recent Linux sould allow settings for 16ms or lower for normal load.
If it does not, I try the standard-procedures to fix it, if this does
not help I switch the distro.

best Regs

HZN