diagnostic tools to trace the reason xruns are happening?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 5 11:14:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 12:20 +0200, bart deruyter wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> thanks for the explanation. It does work better with the performance
> setting. I do still get xruns when using midi though. Using
> sooperlooper, I trigger recording with the pedal of my keyboard,
> through an usb2midi misport2x2.
>
> I guess the search for the PREEMPT_RT kernel is in place.. is there a
> PPA I could use, or do I have to build it myself? Or is it the
> linux-headers-2.6.31-12-realtime? I have it listed in the falk-tx
> ppa.
>
> grtz,
> Bart

What architecture do you run, 32-bit or 64-bit and what is the version
of the generic kernel you run?

uname -a

will show you.

I can send a script that will build a kernel-rt automatically. Since you
use the generic kernel, you could try the preempt only kernel for Ubuntu
Studio. IMO it's better to use a PREEMPT RT instead of a PREEMPT only,
but perhaps it works for you. Perhaps it's in a repository, see
https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=natty

Hth,

Ralf