Automating UBS Setup for a project ...

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sat Jan 8 13:48:33 UTC 2011

Am 08.01.2011 13:45, schrieb Rolf Krüger:
> Hi All,
>

> When producing a song, I always use several apps on UBS:
>   - qjackctl
>   - ardour (outs connected to jamin, not to my soundcards system out)
>   - Muse (for Midi) (routing the outputs to busses in ardour, the outs of
> muse are never connected to my soundcards system out)
>   - Hydrogen (routing the outputs to busses in ardour, the outs of
> hydrogen are never connected to my soundcards system out)
>   - jamin (connected to the master outs of ardour, set to bypass during
> recording/mixing, only acive when mastering)
>
> Is there a way to automate/script the setup for a song so that all apps
> are up and running, have loaded the appropriate data files and routed
> correctly by running a single shell script?

It is, though I did not find a way to put the apps on different virtual
desktops. To start them is not that complicated:

#!/bin/sh
#this is free software licenced under the GNU-GPL - please refer to the
file Copying, that came with this script
#checked and found to be working OK at the 18th of May 2006
# start h2 and care for Jack

kdialog --msgbox "This script will start the drumsequencer Hydrogen \n
If you cannot hear anything and nothing goes on, you should check, if
any Audioapplications are running, that do not use the Jack-Audioserver
- closing those often helps a lot....";

ps -C jackd >/dev/null&&( hydrogen --song
$HOME/law/seq/simpelrock01.h2song &
)||(
aplay $HOME/law/samples/acgit1-Ee.wav;
sleep 1 &&
killall -9 qjackctl&
kdialog --msgbox "jackd must be started first \n If jack has started,
please click OK to start and connect H2";
qjackctl -s hydrogen --song $HOME/law/seq/simpelrock01.h2song  &
jamin &
)
sleep 1 &&
if
[ "ps ax|grep jamin" != 0 ]
then
jack_connect jamin:out_1 alsa_pcm:playback_1 ;
jack_connect jamin:out_2 alsa_pcm:playback_2
else
echo kdialog --msgbox "Jamin is not started, try again."
fi

sleep 2 &&
ardour /path/to_your_project &
kdialog --msgbox "H2 should now be up, please refer to its helppage to
find out more. \n If there is no H2-window, chances are, that your
system did not provide the ressources to start the requested sequence
fast enough so one or more of the needed programs timed out - try to
close some other apps and/or consult the helpsystem to solve this...
restart and enjoy." &

This will not work, you have to check, where you need to adapt this to
your wishes and environment (paths, project names)

Since Ardour stores all ist jackconnections properly in its
project-file, you only need to take care for the connection of jamin to
the soundcard.

best of luck ;-)

HZN