Chiming in on the 'cheap-usb-audio-interface' conversation

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sat Jan 8 11:48:22 UTC 2011

Am 08.01.2011 07:30, schrieb Casey Forslund:
> Hey all,
>
> I am a newbie with Ubuntu (1yr): I've been running 10.04 Lucid (studio)
> lately and I've been blown away at how tough it has been to find a soul out
> there who has the skills of knowledge to troubleshoot or problem solve
> getting my Tascam US-122 (which is a device that fits the exact description
> of the topic I'm replying to) to work with Ubuntu. I have read EVERY posting
> on the forums, official and unofficial, got a hold of some VERY
> knowledgeable and extremely helpful Ubuntu veterans, but my US-122 is still
> dead in the water. I'm just wondering if any of you wants to have mercy on
> me and see if you can come up with any options I can pursue. I guess the
> second part of this message is that if no one out there can help me, don't
> buy a tascam US-122, as I have spent (genuinely) over 30 hours of my time
> trying to get this thing to even blink, to no avail.

Did you followed this one:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Tascam_US-122

?

If so, and it still doeas not work, I would consider to switch to a
different Linux Distro. I have seen this particular interface working
perfectly well under Debian, 64Studio, Suse and even Gentoo...

Nonetheless you should try to make Ubuntu Studio working first.

Also Pulse Audio could be a hindrance. PA does not work very well with
devices that do not fit in the typical desktop/office audio type of
thing. So I am quite sure, that you device can work best after
installing/configuring alsa-firmware-loader and running it with jack
using qjackctl.

best regs

HZN