Kubuntu 10.10 and real-time kernel

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:52:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Alexandros Bitoulas <albitoulas at yahoo.gr>wrote:

> Hello everybody!

Hi Alexandros!

> I run kubuntu 10.10 with 2.6.35-25-generic kernel and I am very pleased and
> enthusiast about it's aesthetic feel.
>
> However, I want to record live my guitar. With this kernel, the latency
> that I
> get in Jack, (with 512 frames/period, 44100 Sample Rate and 2
> Periods/Buffer)
> is 23.2 msec which is a little bit annoying. If I lower the Frames to 256 I
> get 11.6 but I have many Xruns.

it would be helpful to know what you audio interface is to perhaps help you
get better performance.

Also, in some cases (and yours might be one) if you add the user to the
'audio' group it helps performance as well.

> So, I am thinking to install the realtime kernel. The question is: are
> Kubuntu
> 10.10 and real-time kernel full compatible with each other? Do I need to
> make
> any considerations/modifications in my system before installing the
> real-time
> kernel. Did anyone had any problems with Kubuntu 10.10 and real-time
> kernel?

Good question.  But since it's all based on Ubuntu I wouldn't expect much
deviation in performance except in specific, restricted cases.

> I searched on the web and I only found some generic comments like "that KDE
> isn't suitable for audio production", but with no serious support that
> validate those comments.

I think many people would argue with that position.

A good friend created and maintains that KXStudio distro which is based on
Ubuntu Studio and uses KDE.  It's brilliant and beautiful and includes a
-realtime kernel I believe.  It's a live DVD so I would highly recommend
researching it.  You can find it here:
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/

> I am looking forward to your replies and comments!
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Alex

ScottL