having trouble with output sound of Audacity once upgraded to Audacity 10.04

Scott Berry scottbb1973 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 00:04:17 UTC 2011

Hello there,

I am using the stock Ubuntu 10.04 and upgraded Alsa to 1.0.24 with some
kernels and 1.0.23 with others.  I have the RT kernel for Lucid as well
as the latency kernel.  When I do a "aplay -l" here is what I get;

scott at Bear:~$ cat /var/asound/version
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$ sudo cat /var/asound/version
[sudo] password for scott:
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$  cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
scott at Bear:~$ aplay
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
   Subdevices: 0/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ ^

if I do a "arecord -l" here is what I get:

scott at Bear:~$ cat /var/asound/version
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$ sudo cat /var/asound/version
[sudo] password for scott:
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$  cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
scott at Bear:~$ aplay
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
   Subdevices: 0/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ ^C
scott at Bear:~$ clear

scott at Bear:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
scott at Bear:~$ ^C

What seems to happen is if I import anything in to Audacity i get the
following error:

scott at Bear:~$ cat /var/asound/version
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$ sudo cat /var/asound/version
[sudo] password for scott:
cat: /var/asound/version: No such file or directory
scott at Bear:~$  cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
scott at Bear:~$ aplay
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
   Subdevices: 0/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ ^C
scott at Bear:~$ clear

scott at Bear:~$
scott at Bear:~$ asound -r4
No command 'asound' found, did you mean:
  Command 'csound' from package 'csound' (universe)
asound: command not found
[...]

Warning Error while opening sound device please check the output device
settings and the project sample rate. OK.

I also notice that when I go in to the Menu and then to
Preferences/Sound and I go to the hardware tab to change anything I see
nothing in there.  What I was changing last time was the connerctor so
it was output/Int\put Stereo i believe.  Any help would much appreciated
have found much on the Inet for this.

Scott