Making Music with FOSS

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 25 10:16:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 10:43 +0100, mark wrote:
> I'd like to watch the webcast too.
>
> But hang on a second folks, we're free software advocates, aren't we? So
> why are we trying to find work-arounds, when the problem is that a
> webcast about free software should have been published in a free format?

And this not for the first time! I'm pissed about websites that open
pop-ups, to abuse people with the philosophy of libre computing etc. and
I never ever will be friend of people who do use Google Analytics, force
us to use Windows stuff, allow scripts to run on our machines etc..
Btw. I still didn't find a replacement for the evil Google :(, but
excepted of Google I guess I don't need to visit websites I don't like.

> Surely it would make more sense for us, as a group, to say to the
> publisher something like, "This is no good, please can you find a way of
> publishing that meets the needs of your target audience, as this clearly
> doesn't."
>
> Would anyone care to join me in this?

Mark, what's about this Ardour issue? Isn't Ardour without being an Apple plugin host on Linux, not a full version of Ardour for Linux?

Perhaps it's not about Linux, FLOSS is for Windows and Mac too and if
this kind of open source community is using MacOs and Windows, beside
e.g. RedHat Linux and .arf should be a common format there, why
shouldn't they use it? Regarding to this, I'm just pissed about the
'everything is better using FLOSS, but proprietary stuff' attitude, by
people who don't use FLOSS stuff only. Private I do use FLOSS only,
excepted of the graphics driver and similar, but for making music FLOSS
is far away of being just nearly as good as proprietary software,
regarding to technical issues, of course, ethics etc. are other issues.

No, I won't join you in this. Btw. we're already using FLOSS. The target
group might be people who don't use FLOSS, but who do have all kind of
consumer apps on their fucking Apple and Microsoft operating systems.

IMO the problem is much bigger, it's about the difference of a consumer
computer and a producer computer, not only about the differences between
FLOSS and proprietary software.