Making Music with FOSS

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 25 09:20:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 09:50 +0100, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 23/04/11 21:16, Seattle Chaz wrote:
> > Last week, opensource.com hosted a web-cast, Making Music with FOSS. I
> > missed it, but I was confident that the media would be archived, which
> > is indeed the case. However, the media file is in the proprietary .arf
> > format from WebEx. Though I searched extensively, I was unable to locate
> > a method for converting the file to a more usable form.
> >
> > Of course, I COULD just view the materials on-line, but where's the fun
> > in that? The download-able media player supports only Windows and Mac. I
> > was about to hold my nose and install the player when I was inspired to
> > attempt a Wine installation. I downloaded the WebEx .arf Player, set the
> > executable permission on the .msi file and booted it under Wine. Wine
> > happily took it and installed it and the downloaded media played without
> > a hiccup.
> >
> > Web-cast:
> > http://opensource.com/business/11/4/today-making-music-foss-webcast-2-pm-est
> >
> > Webcast Playback:
> > https://jboss.webex.com/ec0605lc/eventcenter/recording/recordAction.do?theAction=poprecord&actname=%2Feventcenter%2Fframe%2Fg.do&apiname=lsr.php&renewticket=0&renewticket=0&actappname=ec0605lc&entappname=url0107lc&needFilter=false&&isurlact=true&entactname=%2FnbrRecordingURL.do&rID=38196012&rKey=c2223d52c482e824&recordID=38196012&rnd=8047439081&siteurl=jboss&SP=EC&AT=pb&format=short
> > <https://jboss.webex.com/ec0605lc/eventcenter/recording/recordAction.do?theAction=poprecord&actname=%2Feventcenter%2Fframe%2Fg.do&apiname=lsr.php&renewticket=0&renewticket=0&actappname=ec0605lc&entappname=url0107lc&needFilter=false&&isurlact=true&entactname=%2FnbrRecordingURL.do&rID=38196012&rKey=c2223d52c482e824&recordID=38196012&rnd=8047439081&siteurl=jboss&SP=EC&AT=pb&format=short>
> >
> > WebEx Player: http://www.webex.com/play-webex-recording.html
>
> I tried this, but no luck. The WebEx .arf Player got installed correctly
> under Wine, and it says "Network Recording Player Version 2.17.1", but
> when I try to open the file Making Music with FOSS.arf, it complains
> with "Unknown file format. You may update your Network Recording Player
> and try again." Anyone else got that? (I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine
> 1.2.2).
>
> Cheers,
> Ángel de Vicente

Hi Angel :)

are you sure that this Windows Media Player does provide all codecs and
container formats itself? Perhaps it expect that Windows provides some
proprietary codecs and container formats, that can't be provided by
Wine. I guess you need to add some codecs and/or container libraries to
Wine.

Just 2 cents: I wonder that an open source platform is using a
proprietary format. And I wonder about the sentences "Ardour is free
software released under the GPL, but it's not entirely free-as-in-beer.
For the full version (which adds the ability to load or save AU plugin
settings), you're asked to donate any amount you feel is appropriate.
(The default recommendation on the donation page is $45.)" AU plugins
are a proprietary format too, hence this guy from RedHat is making music
with a combination of FLOSS and proprietary stuff ;)? He can't share
what he's doing with people who don't use this kind of proprietary
thingy :D.

    /)/)
  =(';')=
..(").(")... Happy Easter!