Maverick and Delta 1010lt

ailo ailo.at at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:27:26 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 02:36 PM, Brian Blater wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM, ailo <ailo.at at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/11/2011 03:41 AM, Brian Blater wrote:
>>> I've been using US 10.04 for awhile on an older machine. I picked up a
>>> newer machine and decided to move my Delta 1010lt card to this machine
>>> and install US 10.10. What a nightmare it has been as I've been
>>> dealing with issues with lowlatency kernels, nvidia drivers and now
>>> the 1010lt card. Let me tell you this is not for the faint of heart as
>>> I've been working at this for 4-5 days now.
>>>
>>> Anyways, I won't go into the nvidia issues and the lowlatency kernel
>>> issues for now.
>>
>> nvidia drivers won't work if you use a kernel that is not meant for
>> Maverick. I assume you are using a kernel for another distro.
>> nvidia drivers can be made to work of course. You would either need to
>> build them yourself, or add them manually from a repo that matches the
>> kernel (I would believe), however, I would not recommend you to do this.
>
> When I first installed 10.10 I actually used your PPA for the
> -lowlatency kernel. Yes, it was for Natty as was recommended by
> several posts I found, but as you mentioned, the nvidia drivers didn't
> work. If I understand correctly there must be three sets of drivers
> for nvidia cards now:
>
> nv
> nvidia - FLOSS
> nvidia - proprietary
>
> Am I correct in saying that by default the FLOSS drivers will be
> installed? How would I remove the FLOSS drivers and go back to the NV
> drivers if I want to install your -lowlatency kernel? Will the NV
> drivers support the GeForce 8600GTS card?

nvidia-current is the meta-package for the proprietary nvidia drivers.
Those will only be guaranteed to work with the kernel in the main repo.
The Natty -lowlatency from the PPA is a Ubuntu kernel, and will work
with Natty drivers.
I believe nouveau drivers will work on all kernels, but I'm not sure,
since I haven't tried it. My packages are called
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and nouveau-firmware. Don't think those will
be active if you have the proprietary drivers installed as well.

> snip
>>
>> Unfortunately there is a problem in how the ice1712 is presented to
>> pulseaudio. This is why you get no desktop sound, but it should be easy
>> to fix.
>> To copy what Ralf wrote in another post on this list (edit the file
>> /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf)...
>>

>> #
>> # Configuration for the ICE1712 (Envy24) chip
>> #
>> [snip]
>> <confdir:pcm/front.conf>
>>
>> ICE1712.pcm.front.0 {
>>        @args [ CARD ]
>>        @args.CARD {
>>                type string
>>        }
>>        type route
>>        ttable.0.0 1
>>        ttable.1.1 1
>>        slave.pcm {
>>                type hw
>>                card $CARD
>>        }
>>        #### fix PA issue ####
>>        slave.format S32_LE
>>        slave.channels 10
>>        ######################
>> }
>> [snip]
>
> Yup, that is the one fix I installed first.

I hear that this fix will work for Natty, so if not for Maverick, that
seems strange to me. Did you make sure to reboot and look on what you
could see in pulseaudio preferences? No luck?

>>> Ok, so ranting off now. I followed several bug reports and I think
>>> those have at least allowed me to get the sound card working through
>>> Jack.
>>
>> ice1712 will always work with jack. You might have neglected to raise
>> some volumse at first. An easy mistake to make, which I have made myself
>> many times.
>> Did you check out envy24control? It is a mixer for ice1712 cards. I
>> recommend to use that.
>  thinking what I may do first is reinstall a clean 10.10 system and
get the NV driver working. Then install the -lowlatency kernel from
your PPA. Then get the 1010lt working with the onboard card disabled.

If you want to mess around with external kernels, you'll need to mess
with nvidia drivers too.

> Yes, I've used a combination of envy24control and alsamixer. I would
> imagine that since I've got sound from Jack etc that I've got the
> correct channels un-muted and volumes up (but it wasn't easy
> understanding what was muted etc.)

There's a lot of faders there. By this time I'm sure you know the gains
are named: adc 0-7 for audio-to-digital and dac 0-7 for digital-to-audio.
Not nice not knowing which faders to pull when just trying to get sound out.
Jack is not affected at all by the issues with pulseaudio, since it uses
alsa directly, so running jack with that card is a good way to start, to
make sure the card works.

--
ailo