Tascam us-144mkII

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Apr 8 21:57:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 17:11 -0400, Scott Bohon wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 09:16 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >         Pardon, I didn't read the whole thread. Why do you need to use
> >         USB 1?
> >
> >         Cheers,
> >
> >         Ralf
> >

> >         --

> > Hi Ralf,
> >
> > I don't believe Scott B. wants or is considering a USB1.1 device.  I
> > was just giving some background so that he understood that not all USB
> > devices are equal and how they might perform in a simplistic, relative
> > sense.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > ScottL
>
> Actually, I do need to "disable ehci-hcd (USB 2.0)" in order to use my
> current interface - Tascam us-144. AAt least that is what I see in the
> ALSA hardware info. But I do not know how to "disable ehci-hcd (USB
> 2.0)"! Could not find anything searching Ubuntu docs. Where do I go to
> disable? Do I just comment out the line with #?

Hi Scott B. :)

[OT: IMO it's easier to follow mails, if we answer under the quotes]

A shot in the dark ...

The Internet gives the information that the us-144 and us-144mkII do
support 2.0 and 1.1.

I guess the driver modules are part of usbcore, dunno if there's a
module you can unload, but I guess you don't need to unload a driver.

$ lsmod | grep usb

does show the loaded modules.

There's a module

snd-usb-us122l.ko

if I run

$ modprobe -l | grep usb

perhaps you need a special driver for your us-144 too.

The command 'hwinfo' might help:

$ hwinfo --usb
$ hwinfo --sound

I e.g. get the output 'Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_ice1712"'for
my ICE1712 (Envy24) cards. Perhaps hwinfo can tell you what driver you
need to load. Connect the device and run 'hwinfo --sound', on some
distros you need to be root to do this.