Studio + KDE

TSH tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk
Wed May 12 19:45:20 BST 2010

Until now I've been an Ubuntu and Xubuntu user, and have played around
with other variants, like Mint. This is my first Studio installation, on
a 64 bit machine.

Does Studio 10.04 come with the KDE desktop as well as the default Gnome
one? I realise this may be a stupid question, but when I log out of my
usual Gnome session, I see the option to log back in to a KDE session.
And yet this just results in a black, useless screen, with a mouse
pointer over it.

This is not a particularly big deal for me, as I prefer Gnome anyway. But
I also like to use some applications like Amarok, Scribus, Knode, and
others which are aimed at KDE environments. But in Studio, unlike in
other 'buntus I've used, these do not pick up the native theme in any
way, and look horribly out of place in the Gnome environment. Previously
when I've installed these applications in other variants, at least the
basic window frame and colour respects the theme settings in Gnome. I'm
wondering if this is related to the KDE desktop not seeming to work.

--

Stewart H.
Posting via Gmane