No audio - was: Real time for Ubuntu Studio 10.04 amd64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 28 20:48:00 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 20:34 +0100, Matt Wheeler wrote:
> Sorry, I can't answer either of the questions you said you actually
> wanted help with but...
>
> On 28 July 2010 17:22, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > today I tried Ubuntu Studio again, but I had no time to work on the
> > realtime kernel issue, because I got some new issues.
> >
> > 1.
> >
> > After updating apps and the non-realtime kernel, my manually edited
> > grub.cfg was automatically overwritten by a completely grotesque
> > grub.cfg, without an automatically backup of the original. So tomorrow
> > I'll have to do a hard job to make all my really existing kernels and
> > Linuxes bootable again and those who are already bootable needs to get
> > rid of those annoying boot splashes, unfortunately I didn't backup it
> > myself.
>
> Rather than editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly you need to edit or
> replace the files in /etc/grub.d and then call update-grub.
> The scripts in /etc/grub.d are executed in order, hence the filenames
> beginning with numbers, so if you want to add custom entries at the
> top call your file 08_localstuff or something. I've blogged about this
> in relation to realtime kernels [1]. Perhaps you can modify that to
> suit your needs.
>

> If you just want to include some static text in grub.cfg you could
> create a file like this (and make it executable):
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo << EOF
>
> your stuff for grub.cfg goes here
>
> EOF
>

> Hope this is at least a little helpful ⢁)
>

> [1] http://funkyhat.org/2010/01/19/putting-rt-kernels-first-in-grub2/
>
> --
> Matt Wheeler
> m at funkyHat.org

Thank you Matt :)

1.

My fault not to backup grub.cfg or to switch to GRUB 1, resp. not to use
GRUB 1 of my older Linux installs.

2.

For the future I could backup grub.cfg or I should (have) read about
GRUB 2 myself.

So, okay, GRUB isn't that important, OTOH thank you for making it easier
for me to keep the new GRUB.

Anyway, I still wounder why GRUB does search for outdated GRUB 1
menu.lst's ;).

Not the hint I was asking for, but OTOH a really good hint, because the
new GRUB for sure will remove the old faithful GRUB.

Thanx :)

Ralf