Good news about Cinelerra

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 5 17:19:17 GMT 2010

> On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 17:56 +0100, Tommy Hjalmarsson wrote:

> > > My experiences with ppa are good, e.g. for Shutter by launchpad, anyway,
> > > this kind of third party packages 'does not have to', but 'would be able
> > > to' cause issues, especially if there are dependencies to codecs, as
> > > there are for Cinelerra.
> > >
> > > For what versions of Ubuntu Studio is Cinelerra by this repository
> > > proved?
> > >
> > > I do have got may issues, just running a 'regular' Ubuntu Studio.
> > >
> > > My 2 Cents:
> > >
> > > We should use such repositories, but just after doing a backup of the
> > > hopefully stable Ubuntu Studio and then all the times we're doing an
> > > upgrade, we should verify the sources of e.g. codecs, that are perhaps
> > > upgraded too.
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Ralf
> > >

> > Ubuntu 8.04-10.10
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~cinelerra-ppa/+archive/ppa
> > <https://launchpad.net/%7Ecinelerra-ppa/+archive/ppa>
> >
> > Click on " Technical details about this PPA" , select your Ubuntu
> > version and follow the instruction.
>
> Is it proved by the Ubuntu Studio Community? E.g. with a memlock for rt
> audio? Etc, pp.?
>
> Again, I never had issues when installing a package by launchpad, but a
> 'studio' Linux isn't a regular Linux ;).
>
> Can't any of the packages by
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/cinelerra-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/c/cinelerra/
> cause an inconsistency?
>
> If I should need Cinelerra, I maybe would install it by this repository,
> but I also would do a backup of Ubuntu Studio before installing it.
>
> :)
>
> Ralf

PS:

For example, when using another repository, for another Ubuntu based
audio distro, there is an issue.

'How to setup Cinelerra in 64 Studio

Cinelerra CV is an open-source non-linear video editor and is one of
those incredible pieces of software that you just cannot believe is
free... but that is part of the problem. 64 Studio cannot include it as
part of the distribution because it has too many patent encumbered
dependencies. But not to worry, if you install it yourself from other
sources it is yours to use as you please! And this is that story...

64 Studio 3.0
8.04 Hardy Heron

1) Add repository
deb http://akirad.cinelerra.org akirad-hardy main

2) Install package: akirad-keyring-and-mirrors

3) Reload synaptic

4) Select package cinelerra, and dependencies and install
- These packages set shmmax to 0x7fffffff and add non-English language
support for Cinelerra.' (http://www.64studio.com/howto_cinelerra)

And I guess everybody does no codec inconsistencies between apps
provided by Suse or by Packman for Suse.

Take care ;)!

Ralf

--
I'm not interested in WikiLeaks, but IMO it's much more, but just
suspect how PayPal does behave against WikiLeaks. I never used PayPal,