recording vocals

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:20:02 BST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009 12:51am, "Jason M. Christos" <TechnologyJason at gmail.com>
wrote:
> what is good microphone in the $200 range to record vocals that is
> compatible with ubuntu studio? I would prefer to hear from someone who
> has actually used the combination to record vocals, thanks in advance

> --
> - Jason M. Christos
> http://www.google.com/profiles/Jason.Christos

I highly recommend the Studio Projects B3 microphone. For its price (around
$150 on-line) it is easily one of the best sounding large-diaphragm
condenser microphones out there.

My set-up for this is:

Mic > Audio Interface w/ built-in preamps (Presonus Firepod) > Computer
(Currently running Hardy)

As others have mentioned, you will need to have phantom power in order to
use condenser microphones. Which means either your soundcard or interface
needs to supply the power, or you'll want to have a dedicated pre-amp.

Finally, once again, it seems we have all forgotten that we are supposed to
be writing at the BOTTOM of posts when replying, not at the top. Thanks!