Jaunty -RT testing

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 16 01:15:27 GMT 2009

>> I just downloaded the -RT kernel from the repository and tried to boot into it on my ASUS G1S.
>> It did not boot up.
>> It could be because I have compiled a sound driver against the generic kernel from the alsa-drivers testing repository. Oddly, I seem to remember it working a few days ago.
>> Hmmm. Will check further.
>
>How does it not boot up? Do you get a kernel panic, are you dropped to the initramfs/busybox prompt? Does GDM/X not load?
>
>With a bit more information, we may be able to help you work out the problem you are having.
>
>Luke

Here's what happens.
When I turn my computer on, it goes to the "UbuntuStudio" screen, lights up "Ub" and then freezes.
If I go to "Recovery Mode" and then hit "Resume Normal Boot" I can log on.
However, bad things happen when I try to run the only audio program I run, which is Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10, running in wine.
I start up DNS. It lets me adjust the volume, and then I try to run it and everything freezes.
So I push the button to re-boot. When I come back in (again through Recovery mode) it informs me that DNS is not completely installed, because it is missing a DLL.
When I boot back into my regular kernel, DNS still is missing the DLL, and I have to re-install the program.
I have an Xorg.0.log I can send you. Don't know if this listserve takes attachments, most of them don't.
Susan