Play Bass with M-Audio Delta 66

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at
Sat Mar 14 21:46:30 GMT 2009

Dennis Herber kirjoitti:

> My next step is now to get my signal from the bass-guitar into the PC.

Here we go. These all are mine working setup for Ubuntu Studio 8.04 AMD64.

1. Jackd setup

Use latest linux-rt.

$ uname -a

Linux ubuntustudio 2.6.24-23-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Feb 5 15:57:19 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Add user in audio group.

$ cat /etc/group | grep audio

Add few lines in file /etc/security/limits.conf.

# Ubuntu Studio
@audio 		- 	rtprio 		99
@audio          -       memlock         512000
@audio          -       nice            -19

Add one line in file /etc/sysctl.conf.

# Ubuntu Studio

Add one line in file /etc/modules.

# Ubuntu Studio

REBOOT - everything should work every time you boot.

2. Launch qjackctl.

These works for me.

Bass is plugged in INS 3, there is Line6 PocketPod between bass and
INS 3. I got mixer (L and R) in INS 1 (L) and INS 2 (R).

Here you see INS 3 as System/Capture 3 > Playback 1 and 2, these are
OUTS 1 and 2.

When you play your bass you should see it in "Monitor inputs | H/W In 3"

And of course you should here your bass in monitors or in headphones.

3. Launch Ardour2 and Hydrogen

Give the place and name to your work...

Add two tracks for drums (hydrogen) and bass (INS 3).

Rename them.

4. Connect real world bass in virtual recording track

Connect Hydrogen and bass in Ardour2 (Connections)

This is most difficult part, I think.

Get yourself familiar real world connections in Break Out Box (OUTS 1-4
and INS 1-4) and find them in jackd connections window!

5. Play with Hydrogen

Push red button on both tracks, you should hear both Hydrogen and bass.

6. Record with Hydrogen, normalize bass track

When you are ready push bigger red button, it starts to blink. When you
push play button it starts to record.

7. Play recorded tracks.

8. Use mixer, if needed.

Hope this helps you to start recording your bass. Just add mp3 in one
track and play/record with mp3 track.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.