Laptop for UbuntuStudio

Daniel Caleb techknow at internalkernel.com
Mon Jul 27 16:27:22 BST 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 10:42:54 Mike Berry wrote:
> > Hiya everyone!
> >
> > I'm thinkin' on buying a new laptop. It'll be only for UbuntuStudio. I
> > want to ask you which specs I've to take special atention to. I want an
> > all-life laptop: not a heavy laptop (19-inches-screen) neither a
> > notebook. I'm looking for a 14-15 inches. But the other thinks I don't
> > know what are the best choice. I will use it a lot for music and video
> > suite. Which specs are the more importants? Which computer brands do you
> > recommedn me? Lenovo computers will fit me?
> >
> > Can you help me?
>
> Don't go with Lenovo, or anything with a built in Intel Graphics card
> because the drivers are hard to find. I tried to get UbuntuStudio on my
> Lenovo R61 and it was a Fail Whale. I still haven't found graphics or
> wireless drivers. The sound is terrible. I'm going to try get a new laptop
> with an Nvidia card in it.

I'd have to second that... I've had the best experiences with Nvidia cards as
well. I just bought a new laptop recently, did alot of digging around... I
came across several places that had good systems:

System 76
AVA Direct
PC Torque

Most of them were reselling Sager laptops or MSI. I settled with a Sager from
PC Torque, they were the only ones that offered an accidental protection
plan...

Daniel