Which ubustu-configuration makes you happy at present?

Gerhard Lang lang.gerhard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 01:49:05 BST 2009

-ubuntu version, 32 or 64bit, rt-kernel, ffado/jack versions,
wine/wineasio versions...?
In the last weeks I was impatiently testing front-ends - karmic 64bit,
2.6.29.6-1-rt, self-compiled 2.6.29....rt's, ffado from svn, jack 1.9.3
from svn, wine asio 64bit from svn.  Sometimes got nice performance, but
allways very unstable, lots of crashes, freezings, only randomly
success. Wasn't able to figure out reproducable circumstances, in google
I found a disorder of contributions from 2002 to 2008, so I lost track
and disconsolately didn't report bugs.
My hardware: Nexoc/Clevo-Notebook Intel-Core-Duo-T5750 at 2Ghz 4GRAM with
all standard Intel-board/chips exc. onboard VIA vt6306 Fire2 IEEE 1394
controller. EmuX2x2midi-usb. Edirol-FA101.
Now I have to do straight audio production and some live-performance.  I
want to demonstrate efficient linux-audio without tinkering around
onstage. Besides a reliable basic ffado/jack installation I need a full
performant wine/vst-host-gui, in which I can edit all parameters on the
fly. Must not be reaper, which becomes fat and eats too much resources.
For the rest I am contented with genuine linux ardour, hydrogen,
rakarrack etc...
I'll have to downgrade i.e. reinstall former version. I'm no coder but
group, priority, raw1394, rights , dev, udev, security management issues
are under control.
Any experience-based recommendation will be appreciated
Gerhard