UBS Hardy 8.04 RT kernel panic...

wayne wayne at jawnee.org
Thu Jul 2 13:03:19 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 14:15 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:

> wayne wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> I can confirm the exact same behavior, on the exact same set-up.
> >> Sadly, I've not been able to find any solutions for it, either.
> >     thanks for the reply.  hopefully someone has an answer....
> >>
> A newer kernel is probably all that you need.
> >> I can say that the problem does not exist on Jaunty with a first
> >> generation MacBook, which is good. However, the performance of the RT
> >> kernel in Jaunty on my set-up was poor, and so I went back to good ol'
>
> Jaunty, like 8.10 was fine in and of itself, you just had to go outside
> of Ubuntu for your kernel (in this case I usually build my own).

    i have been saving some emails on this list that talk about
compiling a custom kernel, but 1) i have never done that 2) i am not
sure if that is something i can do for 8.04 Hardy, or if it only works
for newer releases?  do i have to upgrade to 9.04 to build a new kernel
with the latest kernel sources?

> >> dependable Hardy. Besides an unusable amount of X-Runs, the RT kernel
> >> also constantly had my fans running, which was very annoying, and in a
> >> mixing environment also obstructive. At this point I have the feeling
> >> that I'll be waiting until Karmic to try again.
> >     that is what i heard and why i am avoiding the upgrade for now.
> >>
> >> As for the issues with suspend and hibernation, I've just gotten into
> >> the habit of never doing those things. I turn the computer on when I
> >> need to record, I just leave it running with a blank screen (with the
> >> lid up, of course) during down times, and then shut it down when I'm
> >> done. It's a bit inconvenient, but the rest of the performance in
> >> Hardy is so solid that I've just accepted the minor hassles.
> >     i had problems with suspend/hibernate initially, but the problem was
> > my swap space not being activated (UUID problems in /etc/fstab).  other
> > than hibernate taking about 2 minutes to shut down, and 4 minutes to
> > thaw, hibernate 99% works fine, suspend as well.
> >
> How is this more convenient than shutting down and starting from cold?
> Waiting is not my strong suit, and 4 minutes would drive me crazy :)

    agreed, sometimes it is quicker to start/stop.  however, session
saving never seems to work well, and re-setting window positions/opening
apps/etc. takes more time (and interaction) than waiting for hibernation
to thaw, during which i can tune my guitar ;)

thanks for the help,