netbooks etc

Gustin Johnson gustin at
Wed Jan 28 20:03:10 GMT 2009

Eric Hedekar wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm at
> <mailto:coryisatm at>> wrote:
>     I think most really don't know the HP that's needed to effectively run
>     JACK/Ardour. Not to mention the reportedly *terrible* soundcards in
>     these things.
>     What is the expectation of performance when using one of these netbooks
>     for recording and what kind of session do you want to do? Multi-track?
>     What screensize do you have?
> Cory, my understanding from Kim's original post was that the box would
> be used for playback of a multi-track ardour session while baudline
> visuals project.  I'd say that's entirely possible with that
> horsepower.  But you've proven me wrong on issues many times before...
> The specs just seem relatively similar to my old Compaq Presario I use
> as my primary workstation - slightly lower clock speed and smaller
> harddrive but that's about it.
Keep in mind that the Atom processor is more like an 800Mhz PIII.  The
Atom is very different from the CPU you had in your Presario.

Also, the SSDs are a lot slower than a hard drive from even a couple of
years ago.  SD cards are slower still.  In other words do not expect to
be able to stream many tracks to these things.

Having said that 4 track playback should be doable on this hardware.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -