netbooks etc

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 28 16:06:22 GMT 2009

Eric Hedekar wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> I think most really don't know the HP that's needed to effectively run
>> JACK/Ardour. Not to mention the reportedly *terrible* soundcards in
>> these things.
>>
>> What is the expectation of performance when using one of these netbooks
>> for recording and what kind of session do you want to do? Multi-track?
>> What screensize do you have?
>>

> Cory, my understanding from Kim's original post was that the box would be
> used for playback of a multi-track ardour session while baudline visuals
> project.  I'd say that's entirely possible with that horsepower.  But you've
> proven me wrong on issues many times before... The specs just seem
> relatively similar to my old Compaq Presario I use as my primary workstation
> - slightly lower clock speed and smaller harddrive but that's about it.

Ok. I re-read the part below.

Kim Cascone wrote:
> situation:
> - run audio from Max/MSP into the mini9 - running baudline - which is
> then projected via a beamer during performance
> - run a 4+ tracks in Ardour as an ambient 'bed' while I improvise in
> Max/MSP on my PB G4

I have a better understanding of what you are wanting to do now. I think
you will generally be fine. Just don't try any 64-track opuses ok? :P
There might be an issue with the small screen size. Looks like Ardour
won't resize below 1280px in width. Mini9 looks to do 1024x600 correct?
I'd try on my laptop but I just shelved it in a attempt to spend less
time on these damn things. :P

-Cory K.