Pulse ?

sandie sandie at sandgreen.dk
Sat Jan 24 21:01:46 GMT 2009

Beldon Dominello wrote:
> Hi Sandie
>
> I'm relatively new to UbuntuStudio and would very much like to see your
> checklist for purging Pulse from the system.
>
> Cheers!
>
>      -=Beldon

Hi Beldon

I'm proberly not the most qualified to tell you this :-) This might not
work on your system, it's just what I have found to work on my own Hardy.

***********************

% sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
% sudo apt-get install libasound2
% sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins
% sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf
% sudo mv /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio ~/
% gconftool-2 -s -t bool
/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/sound/active false
% asoundconf unset-pulseaudio

% sudo sysv-rc-conf
Page down till you see “pulseaudio” entry, then untick all the box [].
Save and exit.

% asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards, mine is M2496 so I use this line :
% asoundconf set-default-card M2496

Make sure libao.conf is set to ALSA
% sudo gedit /etc/libao.conf
defaul_driver=alsa

Navigate from the menu: System - Preferences - Sound, make sure your
only use ALSA
Under Sounds - disable system sounds

This might be total overkill, but it works for me :-)
Someone resently told me that these simple three lines is enough :

% sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
% asoundconf list (Names of available sound cards: M2496)
% asoundconf set-default-card M2496

And just to clarify... I don't hate Pulse, I just don't use it :-)

btw. If someone can tell me a correct way to do this, I'd be happy to
make a script and host it on my site.

/Sandie